Puri is one of the Char Dhams in India. The four pilgrimage sites including Badrinath, Dwarka, Puri and Rameswaram are considered highly sacred by Hindus. Its popularity as a religious destination brings large numbers of devotees to this city throughout the year.
Apart from Sri Jagannath Puri’s age-old temples, the place is also known for its sun-kissed coastline and local bustling markets, making it a go-to place for a relaxing vacation by the sea.
Best Time to Visit Puri
- Sri Jagannath Puri’s coastal climate makes it ideal for a trip throughout the year.
- The temperatures drop a bit during the winter months from October to February making it favourable for visits to the beaches and temples. The grand festival of the ‘Rath Yatra’ in the summer, nonetheless, attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors every summer. Another great event to look forward to is the famous beach festival that happens in November every year.
- If you want to stay out of crowd, Toshali Sands resort is the best place to stay in Puri. It is a four-star resort near Balighai beach on Marine drive provide you amazing ambience and superb facilities to spend a great beach vacation.
- Visit Sri Jagannath Puri Temple, the central tourist attraction of Puri, to experience the spiritual energy and witness a feast for the eyes.
- Watch the blue sky turn into a pale orange hue during sundown at the Puri Beach. Another crowd puller is the mouthwatering seafood the hawkers sell here.
- Plan with Toshali tours for the Chilika Lake, which has a long shoreline bordered by trees swaying with the direction of the soft sea breeze. The lake is punctuated with small islands and a dynamic variety of native and migratory birds.
- Near to Puri, Konark Beach allows one to spend some peaceful time by the waters of the sea. Evenings are best for a visit when the moonlight starts reflecting off the water.
- Frequented by devotees of Lord Krishna, the Sakhi Gopal Temple located at a distance of 25 kilometres from the city completes the customary visit to places of religious significance in Puri.
Where to Shop in Puri
- Haggle hard to buy seaside knick-knacks like shell-encrusted jewellery boxes and cotton bags at best prices on the Marine Drive Road.
- The fine handicrafts of Odisha like the ‘Pattachitra’ paintings, stone carvings, puppets, masks, sand art and silks fill up the stalls on Grand Road at Sri Jagannath Puri.
- Raghurajpur is the place to buy souvenirs for friends and family back home. You can find artisan-made papier-mâché toys, carved wooden figurines and stone sculptures at this designated heritage crafts village located at just a 15-minute drive out of Puri.
Home to the sacred Sri Jagannath Puri Temple, the city is a go-to destination for both pilgrimage and recreation. Perfect for a family vacation, a trip to this beach town promises a great vacation with Toshali Sands to experience with culture, beaches and religion.